Monday, April 12, 2010

One Year Ago Yesterday...

...I was hopping on a plane at the Phoenix Airport after leaving my cousin Tom's wedding brunch in Scottsdale. I had given my laptop, iPod, wedding attire and deodorant to dear sister Kelley for safe keeping and loaded my gear up into my EMS pack Dad had gotten me for Freshmen DOC trips. Yep, adaptive reuse.

Probably the first plane-ride in a long time without some sort of music player and/or reading material but it was about time I got used to being alone with my thoughts...and SkyMall. Arriving in Atlanta was exhilarating and nerve-racking. I couldn't remember the last time I had bought a one-way ticket anywhere. Chad was waiting for me by baggage return and it was mighty nice to see a familiar face right away and figure out the whole MARTA train situation. Come to think of it, most journey's should start with a north-bound train and we were headed for North Springs Station where we'd catch the 2 and a half hr shuttle up to Dahlonega.

We met Pierre (aka Gnarly) at North Springs Station waiting for the same ride with a straw hat and a mini-guitar he was going to learn how to play. Josh who runs the Hiker Hostel picked us up and told us tales of army-training and learning how to fly a helicopter blind-folded on the way up. Finally got there, divied up the food, went through gear one last time... barely slept as rain started to fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment