Tuesday, April 27, 2010

19 de Abril

Woke up EARLY on Hiawassee Inn time (I think the shuttle to the trail left at 7:30?) and got to enjoy the lovely continental breakfast in the kitchen - which is sorta the proprietors' kitchen. I think they were in there watching the Today Show on EzChairs. I recall the overwhelming excitement at having cereal for the first time in 6 days. God I love cereal. Then came that whole leaving part and saying good-bye to Chad, which was hard of course. He let me take his pack which fit me much better. I think I sent a few things home with him as well - the pack towel, my vest, a few more things I think (shakedown!) Ron gave me a ride back up to the trail where I think we discussed DC because he had lived there a few years...aaand off I went.

Was only a few minutes before I encountered Pierre in his tent on the side of the trail near the road where he had spent the night. He was currently enjoying breakfast in bed and I said quick hello's and 'see you down the way's. Yeah so then I just cruised on my own for 4 miles or so. I think I passed one group of teenagers and one of them commented "going it alone?" or something. The first shelter I came upon was Plum Orchard Gap and I thought I'd head down the sidetrail to check it out for a few. Chatted with an older hiker there for a bit - Route 66 I believe was his name? Didn't stop for too long. Was approaching the sign for the sidetrail back at the AT and there it was - a full can of Natty Light sitting on top of the sign post. Holy crap. I went to head for it and I noticed someone heading Northbound towards me and before I could open my mouth he said "I'll split it with you." Half a beer later I had met Greenlite. We headed towards the NC line doing the get-to-know-you thing. There were definitely a few tough climbs. We actually missed the NC state line because it was this little sign on a tree, but sure enough we found ourselves in North Carolina. Stopped for lunch right on the trail, Hustler came through and said hellos, we headed on. Saw another aggressive bear warning at Standing Indian Gap and pushed on to Standing Indian Shelter just as the weather was starting to turn.

There were a few characters at Standing INdian that night. Rowmin Goat, thru-hiker from the 80s was there with whiskey and ramps. Got to try my first ramp and have my first trail whiskey. Wonderful. Hustler was obviously entertaining. As was Wheeler - from Doylestown, PA I think. Brian, Pierre and Smiling Bandit were there too. The only definitive thing I remember from there on was Greenlite bringing up corn pasta for the first time and Rowmin Goat telling a joke about crotchless panties and also that ramps will do a number on your insides. Wonderful. I hung my first bear bag all by meself that eve. Then saw Hustler and Rowmin Goat just hang their food in the shelter. Started learning a thing or two about bears I guess. Definitely a stormy night. Wheeler tried to name Smiling Bandit "Tuff" after he slept out in his hammock which didn't so much fly with him. Rowmin Goat snored like crazy. Guess I slept a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment