Monday, April 19, 2010

18, April

Tray Mtn to Hiawassee, GA (Dick's Creek Gap, I think). There were a few tough climbs that day and a lot more sun. Met Hustler getting water at some point this day! I recall thinking his stache was most excellent. I remember the topo in AppPages kept showing all downhill into Dick's Creek Gap but there would be some minor uphills that we were just not having. Big push into Hiawassee. We ran into Pierre a few miles from the road and hiked in with him. Had decided to stay at Hiawassee in instead of Blueberry Patch and they were meeting us at the trailhead to take us into town. On the way in we saw a helicopter dipping into a lake to get water to douse the nearby fire on a hilltop. Quite the spectacle. It was such a pretty time of day - I remember that ride to town vividly. Weird to see civilization again too.

Oh the Hiawassee Inn was colorful - run by Ron and Sam, a lovely gay couple. They put us up in the room next to the office which was apparently Ron's mother's apartment until they put her in a home a few weeks prior. Lots of old lady stuff covered in plastic, but felt like home. Shower was AMAZING. Though toiletry-less. I think I washed my hair with barsoap. And my hair appreciated it. They also gave us sweats to put on while they washed the rest of our stuff. Oh god was that wonderful to change clothes for a few hours. Then they let me take their mini-van to the Ingles a few miles away to resupply. I was slightly blown away they would just let me take their car having just met me 20 minutes prior. They sure make'em nice in Georgia.

Ate dinner at the Chinese Buffet a few doors down. Got some Yeungling and a lighter from the gas station. Trying to remember if they had tv? I think they did. And I think I enjoyed that. Switched my stuff over to Chad's pack since it seemingly fit me better and he would take mine back to DC. His waistbelt clasp had broken though so there was this weird 'stepping-in' maneuver to put it on. It was rather entertaining to watch, in retrospect. Yep, Hiawassee Inn. First night in a bed after five nights on the trail. I'm pretty sure that is the longest I would go on the trail without a hostel or bunk. Ha, yep. Maybe I'm a wimp. Great night's sleep. Was rather nervous for the early wake-up and the thought of setting out on my own. But I was determined as ever to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment