Friday, July 17, 2009

Where's Walden?

OH HI! Yes I've been slacking a wee bit on the blog but thankfully Highlife and Lydia have picked up said slack in my internet absence. I'm knee-deep in Vermont!! and currently on the part of the AT that coincides with the Long Trail for 105mi. The Long Trail (namesake of a very fine microbrewery) runs for 272mi from the Mass border to the Canadian border and is one of the oldest long distance trails in the country. History, people...history. Scenery hasn't sucked either. Currently in Manchester Center, VT at the Green Mountain House hostel where a very nice man from Ohio named Jeff lets hikers stay (real cheap) in his summer place with laundry, showers, kitchen, etc.

These past few weeks I've been extremely fortunate in receiving wonderful hospitality when I needed it. There have been many trail angels responsible for pushing me forward and I shall address them in bullet format as per usual:

* Our first day in Connecticut we were lucky to happen upon a woman playing with her two dogs (who are bomb swimmers) near the water at the confluence of the Ten Mile and Housatonic Rivers. Despite the hiker funk and fact that we were complete strangers, Norah invited us back with her to stay at her home for the night in South Kent, CT and cooked us the most wonderful dinner/breakfast for a mental and physical refuel. Most importantly, she noted that by calling our foodbags 'bear bags' when we hang them from trees at night - we're actually saying that the bag is indeed the bear's and practically inviting them to try their luck. We now refer to it as our supply bag and keep bear-free camps. It's liberating.

* From Kent I took off alone for the next four nights to see what I was made of - try the 'I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar' thing. It was a pretty cool experience being alone in the woods most of the day, the uncertainty of who I would see when it came time to camp, to make the mental push at the end of the day without a hiking buddy. I'm very glad I did it and felt completely safe despite my hesitations. When you're alone I feel like the senses are heightened - living amongst the real versions of fabric softener and cleaning agent scents...mountain breeze, summer showers, pinesol. Dreamy. I've since met up with Greenlite again and I have to say that having someone there to share in the moments & views with you is a pretty valuable part of the AT experience.

* A few days later I was also lucky to meet up with Grandpa's Dartmouth classmate, David Batchelder, and stay with him and his wife at their home in Salisbury, CT in the shadow of Bear Mountain. My sophomore year at Dartmouth I had actually hosted David's granddaughter, Addie, as she checked out the school so it was great to see them again, chat about Hanover, and get an update on Addie! Another hearty meal with a doggie bag of steak, potatoes, and berry pie to hit the trail with the next day. I dream sweetly of Connecticut.

* Other sweet spots. Goose Pond Cabin near Lee, MA. It's a cabin on a sizeable and scenic pond run by the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) with a full-time caretaker who makes you blueberry pancakes & coffee in the morning. The 'Cookie Lady' near Becket, MA who lives on a blueberry farm 0.1mi off the trail and leaves homecookies for hikers on her porch. Amazin'.

MORE TO COME! I have yet to tell of meeting up with Raina in Dalton, MA and catching a ride with her to Boston, my time taking a zero day in Cohasset with the Kelley clan, Mt. Greylock and trail magic from Fahmah and Ma Fahmah, the stay in Bascom Lodge, having Lydia come hike, Stratton Pond, running into Buckeye who we haven't seen since Daleville, VA...and the great journey North in general. 538mi to Katahdin! Will update again from Rutland, VT in a few days with the remainder. Thanks to Lyd for writing about her experience! Did you know Walker Fullerton is back in the country for a few days? Exciting. Hi Walker. Bye folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment