Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Home Is Where You Hang Your Bearbag

So today has turned into a 'zero day' in Pearisburg, VA since it's pouring rain with thunderstorms expected this afternoon. Yeah, wimpy...but I think my feet will very much appreciate the recovery as a pinky toe blister has been making life rather difficult these past few days. Yeah, pinky toe - the most unassuming and useless of the toes. But anywho - more blog!!!

* At a restaurant in Atkins, VA a few days back the only sign at the register was about a gun rack for sale. I almost cracked a smile. I also almost talked myself into needing a gun rack. (Wayne's World reference)

* Do not accidentally use white heat instead of denatured alcohol in your soda can stove if you do not want to start forest fires or lose armhair.

* Bland, VA lives up to its good name.

* I'm now carrying a bible - I have yet to open it. I'm thinkin maybe tomorrow.

* Lingo. "Purists" - those who stick to the trail and make sure they hit every white blaze. I think I'm falling into this camp. "Blue-blazers" - take short cuts on blue blazed trails to spots further up the AT or take alternate routes just to check out some point of interest - other peaks, swimming holes, Wawas, etc. "Aqua-blazers" - hop on a canoe or kayak on the Shenandoah River which parallels the trail for awhile to knock out some miles afloat instead of on foot. Tempting. "Pink-blazers" - AT equivalent of skirt-chasers. Their mileage and or routes dependent on those of the scarce female population out here. "Yellow-blazers" - get rides everywhere. Clever clever stuff.

* Trail names. Some people choose their own, most people aquire them. There are at least 3 Freebirds, One Steps, Dreamcatchers and Hatchets out here. Some of my favorites:

Thunderpants and SIS: Young married couple. He has rampant gas and she "Suffers In Silence".
Wimbledon: Hikes with sweat/headband and strongly resembles Richie Tenenbaum.
Smiletrain: Some people would describe him as "negative" - he generally reminds me of a crotchety old man. He found a bracelet on top of Clingman's Dome and put it on saying he was going to take it to Maine for kicks. Three days later he realized it says Smiletrain on it. Appropriate.
Moontower: Looks just like Slater from Dazed and Confused.

Yeah I can't remember any other good ones at the moment. Always blank when I hit these computers. Back to idling around Pearisburg. If you have any odd questions about stuff out here leave'em in comments and I'll answer!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kimmy! it's mcnabber. i've been amiss at checking this blog but now i am back and will be refreshing no less than 5x an hour.

    Loves and hugs from nyc!

    ReplyDelete