Thursday, June 4, 2009

They Call It That Good Old Mountain Dew

Mmmmmmshowers. Stopped last night at the Dutch Haus Hostel in Montibello, VA, which proudly boasts 3 paved roads. TWO DAYS FROM SHENANDOAH!!! Toot toot, beep beep. Actually crossing the Blue Ridge Parkway on and off for the past week has been pretty cool because it reminds me so much of Skyline Drive - and it was like I could finally see a paved road that would take me straight up North to familiar territory. Pretty sure they were both built around the same time by the CCC in the mid-30s. Also heard that the creation of the Blue Ridge Parkway was the hot button issue that caused the two main visionaries/engineers of the AT - Benton MacKaye and Milton Avery - to never speak again.

So the going's been pretty tough over the past few days with the 90 degree heat and humidity. The 3000 ft climb up from the James River was pretty killer and while I usually love a good exposed ridge, that sun really sucks the life/will to go on out of you. They say your first month is the real physical challenge and then it really becomes a mental game - particularly in Virginia with its 600+ mi of trail. In other news though, I hit 800 miles yesterday and am pretty pumped for all the waysides in Shenandoah. Life ain't bad.

Few folks on the trail I've met over the past week. It was pretty cool to meet Windbreaker, a hiker a few years younger than me from outside of Asheville, NC that carries and plays a 2lb banjer. He went to Appalachian State in Boone, NC and said he took an Appalachian Studies course which segwayed into an Oldtime Music course which inspired him to take up clawhammer banjo. Nothing like reaching McAfee's Knob outside of Catawba, VA right after sunrise which is probably the best view I've seen yet on the trail and having Windbreaker bust out a morning song on the 'jo. Think I put a few pics up on facebook of the knob. He also makes banjos so I'm pondering trading up for one of his once I get back to the real world. Anywho it was a wee bit inspiring on the banjo front - think I'm going to check out where the Oldtime jams are when I get up to Amherst this fall.

Ahhh let's see...otherwise things are generally peachy. Still caffeinating each morning and dodging bears. Actually I have yet to see a bear in awhile but turns out the snakes are starting to kick in which kinda kills me. Thus far I've only seen black snakes but I almost stepped on a 5ft-er or so yesterday which made me scream - nothing of the poisonous persuasion but those rattlers and copperheads are out there. Sweet sweet Virginia. Alright I think I should get going but miss everyone! Ooh and here are a few links to fellow hikers trail journals that have been going my way in case you're interested:

Greenlite
Buckeye
Flex
Matt from DC

I'm outta here.

No comments:

Post a Comment