Sunday, April 26, 2009

"Is that a deer up there? A yak?"

"Oh no it's just a hellspawned cloud of black flies shaped like a deer". Probably me favorite shelter log entry thus far.

So I'm knee-deep in the Great Smoky Mountains at the moment (read: knee deep in sweet sweet Gatlinburg). Since we last corresponded, dear blog, I spent a 'nearo' (near zero-mile day) at Fontana Dam hanging out on the Marina there where we managed to sweet talk our way into a lunch on a houseboat with some nice folks from Greenville, SC. I also switched out my pack to a friend's lightweight pack which brings me down to 20-25lbs of weight to cruise with - light as a 20-25 lb feather.

More to report on bears, truly hellspawned black flies, a sunset motorcycle ride across Fontana Dam with a nice fellow from Eastern Kentucky named Jim, and my first redneck safari later on. It's dinner and the Shoney's buffet beckons.

No comments:

Post a Comment