Monday, April 27, 2009

Gatlinburg Nights

Welp, thought I'd have more time here but looks like the shuttle's pulling out in a half hour or so and I'm trying to suck down as much water as possible before then.

In short, have already seen a family of four bears sitting 20 yds off the trail, 2 wild turkeys, a deer and some elk in the Smokies. Do they even have elk in the Smokies? These were seen from the back of a pickup truck on our way into Gatlinburg (though they took us to some other local sights first...the aforementioned redneck safari) and they sure looked like elk. The bears scared the b'jesus out of me. My eyesight is grim so I kinda just saw some dark shapes off to the left. Once they started moving my bear trigger went off and I immediately did a u-turn and started walking the other way - which is basically exactly what you're not supposed to do. Turns out I react poorly in crisis situations. Waited for two guys to come along for a critical mass in passing the bears (see Mom? I'm being careful). Like the pansy I am, I asked them if I could walk in the middle. To which they replied I'd just be the meat of the sandwich. To which I replied tou che. Otherwise the Smokies have been pretty gorgeous and pretty hot. We've been walking the TN/NC border for a few days and the next stop is in Hot Springs, NC. If you get the chance to go into town with a guy named 'Hatchet', say no. If a motorcycle slows down so you can hop on back and ride across the Fontana Dam, say yes.

1 comment:

  1. I'm counting down the days until lovely Erwin, TN. Don't get too shot happy before then - we're racing to Damascus. Succcccker!

    Okay, so I'll probably be much slower than you. And I' probably won't make it to Damascus. But I'm looking forward to calling you out on BS all the time. Which is ironic since you're not a bol shitter in the least (excuse the French).

    ReplyDelete